Workers' Tournament NSIF in the Semi-Finals

The NSIF football team beat the Ministry of Public Works team in a highly rated quarter-final match of the Workers' Tournament at the Air Force Base Training Centre Stadium.


Competitions and tournaments come and go, but the NSIF team remains the same. As expected, football fans were treated to a high-level match at the Air Force Base Training Centre Stadium in Yaounde. The score at the end of full-time play at the quarter-final match between the NSIF and the Ministry of Public Works was 1-1. It took not only talent but also, ingenuity, to adapt to the pitch which for the 90 minutes of play, was a second opponent for both teams. With a sloping pitch, patchy grass and bumpy ground to name a few, it was necessary to overcome both the unfavourable terrain and a well-motivated opponent who was well aware of the stakes involved in the final phase of a competition, to progress to the next round. It was 4.30 pm when the players from both teams lined up on the pitch to kick off the game. For the first 15 minutes, the NSIF team dominated the game with a visible huge ball possession percentage.


 In the 17th minute, the breakthrough came forth when Michel Ngaffi created space for a cross and Andy Dikongue received it to fire past the opposing keeper. It was one goal to nil (1-0) in favour of the NSIF. Under pressure from the NSIF, the Ministry of Public Works team lost control of the match and were unable to string together three passes. The NSIF team had numerous chances to extend their lead but came up against a stronger defence. Thus at half-time, the scoreline remained one goal to nil (1-0).


 At the start of the second half, a succession of midfield duels thrilled the spectators to loud cheers from the stand. The two teams battled for victory, with the Ministry of Public Works dominating the first 20 minutes of the second half. Fortunately, the NSIF team were able to rely on their experience to hold their opponents down. Under the guidance of coach Patrice Abanda, Michel Ngaffi and his teammates tried in vain to seal the game to no avail. In extra time, with both teams tired and under pressure, an NSIF defender made a mistake, causing an equaliser from the opposing team. The match which ended one all (1-1) at full-time, paved the way for a penalty shoot-out.


The NSIF team got the ball rolling and scored their first penalty. They were levelled by their opponents for the evening. The result, 1-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 against 1-1-0-1-1-1-1-1-0, was a victory for the NSIF. Though not an easy match, the NSIF proved their prowess as favourites. Next up is the semi-final against the Ministry of Youth and Civic Education (MINJEC) on Saturday 20th April 2024. The players will have to adapt to the stadium and redouble their efforts if they are to qualify for the final and retain the trophy.